Thursday, July 05, 2007

My first call to POISON CONTROL!

Ty has a closet organizer in his closet. At the top we store his diaper rash creams. In the middle his diapers and wipes. At the bottom, his shoes. The rest of his things are in bins or hung

Anyway, today I heard him wake from his nap. As per usual, I gave him a fifteen minute window before going up to get him. (He likes to wake from his naps slowly). Before heading upstairs, I kept hearing what I thought were jumping sounds (from his bed to the ground). I anticipated him coming down the stairs, but he did not. I wait a few more minutes and then went up to see what the noise was. Turns out he had DUMPED his bins, turned them upside down, stood on them, reached up or climbed up to the top shelf, grabbed the tube of A and D ointment, openned it up and then coated himself with it. I wouldn't have worried as much as I did, HAD HE NOT PUT IT ON HIS PACIFIER WHICH WAS IN HIS MOUTH! So I freak out! I am now thinking he openned the cap, put it in his mouth and squeezed out the contents. Then didn't like it, and then coated himself and the rest of the room with it, then put the pacifier back in his mouth. The scarry thing was his pacifier was completely coated...COMPLETELY...and the ointment was all over his face. Scared of how bad this could get, I grabbed the tube, the phone book, the phone and called poison control. Not knowing fully what happenned I gave the operator the active ingredients and then waited to hear our fate! The only thoughts I had was that he would DIE ~ I was remembering that episode of Oprah where the baby ingested a bunch of baby oil and then suffacated and died. The operator assured me that based on the active ingredients, and based on the evidence I presented and based on Ty's demeanor (in which he could hear Ty giggling and running around like a mad man) he wans't concerned. The one thing I had to look out for and keep an eye on is whether or not he has labored breath or starts to cough. He also may have some diarrhea as the active ingredients was a diarhetic. OMG! So I sat down, held him and then cried. The operator calmed me and said "you did great mom.....he'll be just fine. If his demeanor changes call me, but I don't anticipate that happenning". I hung up...bawled....called Scott....who's now home. So far everyone is fine....well almost everyone. I may need a sedative! LOL

8 comments:

Sara K. said...

Glad to hear everyone is OK, including mom. The curious ones cause more trouble, but seem to have more fun doing it.

Alyssa said...

sounds like Ty is taking after scott!!

Christy said...

OHhhhhh don't say THAT! I like my mattresses in one piece! I can't afford to buy fire resistant mattresses!!!!!

Chrystapooh said...

Did anyone ever tell you the Sudafed-sucking story after Anna mentioned it and you revealed that you had no idea what she was talking about? If not, call Mom K NOW in order to get a good laugh and have your stress/fears relieved. As well as to confirm that yes, the ones who make the most trouble have the most fun doing it, and yes, Ty sounds an awful lot like my dear brother.
Oh heaven help you, Girl...

Christy said...

I am so worried. I HAVE heard that story....and do see the same tendancies in Ty......pray for me!

Anna@Exasperation said...

Ah, yes. Poison control. Did you mention you're related to me? Did you tell them "hello" for me? It's been awhile since me and Chad had a good convo. Anywho, if it's taken Ty two years to cause any calls to PC you're way ahead of the curve. Let's see...have you found him asleep under any bushes lately (with ants crawling freely around his face and mouth)? Any fires in your garbage cans? Have the police brought Ty home? Does Ty routinely play a game called "War" with a boy named Mikey Heim? Has Ty gone door-to-door asking random strangers for cookies? You've already mentioned that no mattresses have been set afire yet. So really, Christy, it sounds like Ty's long-term prognosis is good as long as you continue to keep any flamable devices on a high, high shelf. And don't, whatever you do, let him wear Camo and shave lines in the side of his head (or listen to Megadeath).
I think that's it.

Erin said...

My sister has already had to call them too! I'm so thankful that everything seems to be okay with him. It is scarry though! ((HUGS))

Jess B said...

I've had to make the call once already, too. I'm so glad he's ok! Sounds like your DH was quite mischevious in his younger days!